You want to buy a 18V DeWalt cordless tool, but when you check the catalogue, you find that there are DeWalt 18V and DeWalt 18V XRP products. Now, there is a new question – what’s the difference between DeWalt 18V vs 18V XRP? Below, we’ll explain to you their differences so that you can choose the right model for your purpose.
Continue reading below to find more information about:
– The battery power of DeWalt 18V and DeWalt 18V XRP
– The comparison of their build quality and dimensions
– The performance of DeWalt 18V vs 18V XRP
– Tips on choosing the right DeWalt cordless power tool
– Which DeWalt model that is generally more recommended
Cordless power tools are getting more and more popular nowadays because they only get better with the development of technology. Some time ago, cordless power tools are only used for non-professional tasks because they lack power. However, the latest cordless models now offer real power that can rival their corded counterparts, and as the effect, cordless power tools are now used by not only the occasional users but also professionals and dedicated hobbyists. See also: DeWalt 18V vs 20V
Obviously, cordless power tools run on batteries. More often than not, it is the battery that decides the power and capabilities of the power tool. This is also the thing that sets DeWalt 18V and DeWalt 18V XRP models apart.
It is true that both DeWalt 18V vs 18V XRP batteries provide similar voltage power. Each battery here has a nominal voltage rating of 18 volts. This is generally powerful enough to drive the motor and produce reliable torque for a wide range of tasks.
However, DeWalt 18V batteries have fewer cells. As the effect, they usually have smaller capacity. The capacity is usually measured in amp-hour, which refers to how many amps that the battery can output in a steady one-ampere current per hour. DeWalt 18V typically have lower amp-hour ratings, so they can’t last for long.
Meanwhile, DeWalt 18V XRP batteries typically have more cells and higher capacity. If you take a look at their specs, you will see that they mostly have higher amp-hour ratings. This means that the batteries can ouptut more power and generally last longer.
The next difference between DeWalt 18V vs 18V XRP is the build quality of the power tools themselves. So, it is not only a matter of battery power. Some of the power tools do have differences.
DeWalt 18V power tools mostly have plastic construction. You can easily see that the chucks are plastic. The internal gears are also plastic. To be fair, the plastic construction is actually quite solid and tough. However, it still isn’t as strong as metal.
Because of this, DeWalt 18V power tools are not suitable for heavy-duty tasks. If you force it to work on particularly heavy and demanding tasks, there is a large chance that the tool will break. To avoid breaking your DeWalt 18V tools, you should use them only for light tasks.
DeWalt 18V XRP, on the other hand, comes with upgraded build quality. They have metal chucks, and the internal gears are also made of metal. As the effect, these power tools are much more robust and durable.
You can rely on DeWalt 18V XRP power tools for professional work and heavy-duty tasks. They are much less likely to break upon demanding applications. Even if you only use your power tools for light tasks such as DIY home improvement projects and vehicle repairs, the improved build quality is still a good thing because it will make the power tools last longer.
Size and Weight
Because of the differences in their batteries and build materials, DeWalt 18V and DeWalt 18V XRP do have different dimensions. As a rule of thumb, compact power tools are better because they will allow you to navigate them more easily.
Actually, both DeWalt 18V and DeWalt 18V XRP lines have some models that are designed to be compact and portable. Yet, there are still notable distinctions that set them apart.
DeWalt 18V power tools are generally smaller and lighter. The compact models have smaller dimensions than DeWalt 18V XRP’s compact models. As a result, casual users and the average homeowners will find these power tools to be easier and more comfortable to use.
DeWalt 18V XRP models, on the other hand, are typically larger and heavier. However, there are compact models that will allow you to work in narrow spaces without difficulty. Experienced users will like the beefier design because it makes the tool to feel tough and durable. Nevertheless, the ergonomics have been optimized to ensure comfortable operation as well.
Finally, there is indeed a notable difference in the performance of DeWalt 18V vs 18V XRP. This will not be a significant problem if your power tools are only for repairing stuff around the home, as such tasks don’t require great power. However, for things like cutting or sanding construction materials, you don’t want to compromise on the power.
The regular DeWalt 18V power tools have limited power. The battery does not have enough power to produce high torque levels. Even if a rotary tool can reach high speeds, the torque will be relatively low. Not to mention that their plastic parts won’t be able to handle heavy materials. As the effect, the regular DeWalt 18V power tools are only suitable for light tasks. They should be good enough for most homeowners and DIY enthusiasts.
Meanwhile, the DeWalt 18V XRP power tools generally have higher power. Since the battery is able to output more charge, it can drive the motor without a problem and produce high torque levels. The rotary tools can reach high speeds, yet with high torque as well.
The metal parts of DeWalt 18V XRP is also the reason why you won’t need to worry to use these power tools on heavy materials. The great power is paired with robust and durable parts, so the tool won’t break from overload. These power tools should be your choice for professional work and heavy-duty applications.
Some users say that you can actually mix non-XRP and XRP batteries if they can be recharged by the same charger. This is because the batteries do produce similar voltage. So, you can run a regular DeWalt 18V drill with an XRP battery – this will extend the runtime. However, it won’t increase the torque power more than what the motor is capable of.
Choosing the Right Power Tool
Indeed, choosing a power tool can be very confusing with all the available products out there. However, if you have narrowed your options to DeWalt 18V and DeWalt 18V XRP models, the decision can be easier. Here are a few tips that can help you choose the right power tool for your purpose.
– Consider the type of work that you will do the most. Is it light-duty, heavy-duty, or a mixture of both? If you only do light-duty tasks, such as repairing stuff around the house and some DIY projects, DeWalt 18V is sufficient. However, if you also do heavy-duty tasks and professional work, you should aim for DeWalt 18V XRP.
– Check the torque level. There are many models available in the market, and there can be some DeWalt 18V models that have higher torque levels than some DeWalt 18V XRP models. So, you should check their specs. A tool with a greater torque will have more power to drill through materials and drive screws.
– The size, weight, and ergonomics. If you only work outdoors, having a bulky unit is less of a problem. However, if you need to work in tight and narrow spaces, choosing a power tool that is compact and lightweight is important. The tool should be small enough to allow you to maneuver it easily and aim it at the correct angle for the task.
– Additional convenience features, such as a built-in light, battery indicator, and bluetooth. When you face DeWalt 18V and DeWalt 18V XRP models with similar power and speeds, you may want to choose the model with the most additional features. Having an integrated light on your tool can be very handy when working in a dark environment. Things like battery indicator and bluetooth can add additional capabilities.
– Included accessories. You want to get the necessary attachments and accessories for your power tool in the same bundle whenever possible. If you purchase the items individually, the total cost can be dramatically higher than if you purchase them in a bundle.
– The warranty. As usual, it is important to check the warranty information before buying a power tool. Note that the warranty for the DeWalt 18V or DeWalt 18V XRP battery is separate from the warranty for the power tool. Larger-capacity batteries usually have longer warranty terms than the smaller-capacity batteries.
DeWalt 18V vs 18V XRP
If you only do light-duty work, DeWalt 18V is sufficient. However, if you do heavy-duty work or a mix of both, you should go with DeWalt 18V XRP power tools. These models are much more robust and powerful. Their batteries also have greater capacity.